- Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers
- Birth Date
- Place of birth
- Los Angeles, California
- SHPE was founded in Los Angeles, California, in 1974 by a group of engineers employed by the city of Los Angeles. Their objective was to form a national organization of professional engineers to serve as role models in the Hispanic community.
- SHPE changes lives by empowering the Hispanic community to realize its fullest potential and to impact the world through STEM awareness, access, support and development.
- SHPE's vision is a world where Hispanics are highly valued and influential as the leading innovators, scientists, mathematicians and engineers.
SHPE South Florida Professional Chapter
The SHPE South Florida Professional Chapter was officially founded in 2003. The chapter developed a network and created opportunities/relationships with STEM professionals in the South Florida area. Chapter leadership, growth, and development was defined by the SHPE national mission. In order to impact the world through STEM awareness, access, support and development, the chapter changes lives and empowers the Hispanic community to realize its fullest potential. We aim for a world where Hispanics are highly valued and influential as the leading innovators, scientists, mathematicians and engineers. The chapter continues to strengthen the professional presence in South Florida area and further enhance SHPE’s vision and mission.
- 2018 Region 7 Best Professional Chapter
- 2017 Region 7 Recognition Award
- 2015-2016 Region 7 Most Improved Professional Chapter
Strategic Focus Areas
We will fulfill our mission by increasing educational opportunities, promoting professional and personal growth, carry out our social responsibility to be involved in education, business and government issues and enhancing pride within our organization and reinforcing our reputation as a vital Hispanic organization.
Statement of Values
We are brought together by heritage, social responsibility and desire to improve the equality of all people through the use of science and technology. We value excellence in education, professional pursuits and leadership. We obtain excellence through integrity, empowerment, achievement, diversity and continuous improvement.
Here are a few pictures of our chapter at a variety of events including the SHPE NILA Conference, a Professional Leadership Panel co-hosted with IBM, and a Noche de Ciencias event hosted in the local Miami area.